Thursday, May 01, 2008

Homemade Laundry Detergent



Apartment Therapy is one of my favorite every day sites that gives me tons of fun ideas. Today they posted about DIY Laundry Detergent...something I myself have recently started doing. Mine is a very simple solution of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Hemp soap, baking soda, lemon juice and hot water. Now my clothes are clean and minty fresh. Dr. Bronner's also has a home cleaning detergent that you can use to mop, wash clothes and other things. I'm just partial to the peppermint and my mother (i mean santa claus) gets me a huge industrial sized gallon of the peppermint soap every Christmas.

(via apartmenttherapy)
"Sure, purchasing store laundry detergent is easy. But sometimes making something for yourself can be a satisfying project, even with the extra time and effort involved. And since the nearby 99 Cents Only Store carries almost everything listed here, we might have to try out this Instructables and offer the results as a gift for our friends (*cough* guinea pugs *cough*).
You will need:

  • Food processor

  • 1bar laundry soap like Fels Naptha or Zote, or Ivory - Zote can be found in hispanic grocery stores

  • 1 Box Borax - found in the laundry aisle

  • 1 box Washing Soda or Oxi Clean, orBaking soda - (Washing Soda AKA soda ash AKA sodium carbonate available in some grocery stores made by Arm and Hammer or you may find it art supply stores in the dyeing section)

OPTIONAL- essential oil of your choice, I didnt do it but I think tea tree might be nice.

Some recipe considerations, there are many variations to be found online.
'''Powdered Laundry Detergent'''1 Cup Grated Fels Naptha Soap, 1/2 Cup Washing Soda, 1/2 Cup Borax
For light load, use 1 Tablespoon. For heavy or heavily soiled load, use 2 Tablespoon "

No comments:

Post a Comment